You clicked the title because Carrot Cake Quinoa Porridge sounds delish, right? Right! I’ll keep it short and snappy – and let you know that it is deliciously sweet, warming and all round a gorgeous bowl. We ate it for breakfast and tea it was that good. Who doesn’t want to eat a healthy version of carrot cake for their breakfast? It also doubles up as a lovely winter warmer. You could even serve it as a dessert in place of traditional rice pudding.
Quinoa is a staple in our house. It is a nutrient dense food – packed with protein and high in fibre. It is a great gluten free alternative for breakfast and dinners, especially for those who may have an allergy to certain grains. This carrot cake alternative to porridge means you also get a veggie hit in for yourself or little ones first thing. Carrot naturally is on the sweeter side of veggies so you don’t notice. Carrot cake would also be a staple in the house if it wasn’t so moreish. I’d probably devour my body weight in it if I could. Lucky I know have a tasty, healthy alternative.
- 2 cups cooked quinoa
- 1 cup milk of choice (we used half hemp, half oat)
- 1 small grated carrot
- 1 small grated apple
- a little grated ginger
- sprinkle each of nutmeg and cinnamon
- few drops vanilla essence
- handful of raisins
- handful of torn, sticky dates
- drizzle of maple syrup
- Cashew or oat cream
- Seed or nut butter
- Warm the milk in a pan and add the quinoa, apple, vanilla, raisins and dates. Bring to boil briefly then down to simmer on a low heat.
- Add a few drops of milk to a separate pan and plonk the grated carrot and spices in there, heat until it is soft
- Once softer, stir into the larger pan
- Serve with the drizzle of maple syrup and enjoy the sweet, sticky goodness.
Have you found this useful?
Another great blog to read is this ultimate vegan shopping list
Another favourite brunch of mine is this delicious vegan French toast casserole – so good!