🥛 A L M O N D – M I L K 🥛
What’s the hardest thing about being vegan? Waking up at 5am to milk the almonds 😭
Homemade and everything – I’ve been wanting to make this for a long time but as usual procrastinate and just buy the pre-made stuff, which has minimal almond milk in it anyways.
Homemade almond milk does not disappoint – it was so creamy, fresh and delicous.
- 2 cups almonds – soaked for 2 nights
- Water to soak
- 4 cups fresh water
- 2 medjool dates
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- Bowl for soaking
- High speed blender
- Muslin cloth
- Bottle to store
1. Soak your almonds overnight or for a second night if needed to soften (place in fridge for second night)
3. Place almonds in a high speed blender with 4 cups fresh water, vanilla essence and medjool dates.
4. Blend on a high speed for around 2 minutes – make sure to gradually increase the speed and use the lid cover or you risk it exploding out the top like I did (precious milk lost – noooo)
6. Begin the filtering process – adding enough milk through the cloth – using a spoon to encourage it through. You will see almond meal collecting in the cloth and the glorious milk filtering through to the jug
7. When there has been a build up of almond meal – take the cloth and squeeze the rest of the milk out
10. Bake something tasty with the almond meal (recipe for banana bread to follow!)
We used this almond milk on our homemade granola and in a blueberry smoothie – it was delicous! Have you made your own milk before? How did you find the process and what did you use? I hear you can use most nuts, some seeds and even coconut 🌴