I love any excuse to get the slow cooker out. It was our saviour when we first moved into our new home two years ago and we didn’t have a fully functioning kitchen. It got us through the winter months on a daily basis until bit by bit we go more appliances. We made all sorts from curries, tagines, chillies to asian broths – even though it wasn’t the typical appliance to make these dishes – it was a life saver. We then added a camping to stove to our collection, later followed by the oven and last to come months later was our hob. Our kitchen was slow progress but totally worth it in the end. Needless to say, I had to get creative with the slow cooker. Sometimes I think about us sitting cross legged on our sitting room floor with chilli for days back then!
One thing I never thought of making was a slow cooker lasagne. I saw someone posted about it previously and thought I’d give it a whirl with what I have in the kitchen. The slow cooker is great for getting dinner ready early and for extra flavour as it marinades, cooking slowly. The reason I made this was to save time in the evening so I could spend it with my family rather than faffing about in the kitchen at babies bed time.
So here was my first ever slow cooker lasagne – sloppy, easy, comforting and filling. Bare in mind, I often cook with what ingredients I have in my kitchen. You can easily sub certain veggies such as mushrooms, eggplant and celery for ones I have mentioned below – depending on whats in yours. I’m not one for sticking to recipes or buying fancy ingredients. It’s amazing what you can create with simple ingredients.
- 8 lasagne sheets
- Drizzle of olive oil
- 1 large onion
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tbsp smoked paprika
- 1 tbsp marmite
- 400mls organic pasatta
- 3/4 red split lentils
- 2 medium carrots
- 1 red pepper
- 1 courgette
- 1 tsp each of oregano and parsley
- 1 can of organic kidney beans
- 300mls veggie stock
- 1 cup soaked cashews
- 1 cup water
- 3 tbsp nooch
- sea salt
- sprinkle of garlic powder, turmeric and veggie stock
- Turn on slow cooker to a low heat.
- Fry onion and garlic for a few minutes in a pan. Add chopped veggies with a little water.
- Add all of your herbs and spices, pasatta and marmite – then add lentils
- Pour through veggie stock and leave on a low heat while you make cashew cheese
- Add soaked cashews, water, spices and notch to high speed blender and blitz until creamy. Do a taste test and adjust to your taste.
- Layer the tomato base into slow cooker, followed by a layer of lasagne sheets. Presuming the slow cooker is round, you will need to break the lasagne sheets up. Add a layer of cashew cheese and so on.
- Drizzle a little olive oil on top and finish with a layer of cashew cheese. Add some vegan cheese if you like.
- Cover and cook on a low heat for around 4-5 hours. Check on it’s progress half way through – you can make sure it’s not sticking to the sides with a spatula and if so add a little water down the sides.
Serve and enjoy! Lasagne usually keeps it’s form better once cooled – this slow cooker recipe is a little sloppy but so worth it 🙂 For some other vegan lasagne inspiration – click here for a slight variation in ingredients – including some pesto!
Have you a favourite slow cooker recipe or secret lasagne ingredient? Comment below!